Home > Uncategorized > Individual Development Savings Accounts

What is the Individual Development Account Program?  The Individual Development Account (IDA) program is a matched savings program focusing on financial stability that assists qualifying participants in acquiring a lasting asset—a first-time home, college education or start or expand a small business.  The IDA program is part of Assets for Independence, a federal program administered by the Office of Community Services of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. United Way of Central Alabama serves as an administrator for the IDA program and partners with United Way of West Alabama to bring the program to West Alabama residents.


How do I qualify for an IDA?  To be eligible for the IDA program, individuals must have:

  • Earned income
  • Annual adjusted gross income of less than $47,100 for a family of four or an individual income of $22,980.
  • No more than $10,000 in total net worth excluding an automobile and home.
  • Call 2-1-1 or click here to learn more

 How do I get started on my IDA?

  • Call 2-1-1 or click here to take an Intake Survey, or click here to submit your Application Form.
  • Once submitted, a United Way representative will contact you and guide you through the process
  • Once enrolled, begin making monthly deposits (minimum of $25 per month) into your IDA – a free savings account with no fees
  • As your savings grow and are matched, you move closer to achieving  your dreams

The Individual Development Account program is administered by United Way Central of Alabama who partners with United Way of West Alabama to bring the program to West Alabamians.  It is supported by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office of Community Service. Local matching funds are provided through the United Way Financial Stability Partnership of Alabama by corporations, foundations, municipalities and individuals, who are committed to helping Alabamians become financially stable and build assets for personal financial independence.  Call 2-1-1 or click here to learn more.